About Tim McLellan
Tim has over 28 years of CFO and Controllership experience, at companies ranging in size from $10 million to large Fortune 500 companies. Tim has also established and managed internal audit departments, along with a Big 4 public accounting background. He is both a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) and a CCIFP (Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional).
He has been involved with companies in several industries including commercial construction, wholesale distribution and warehousing, and manufacturers of plastics, building materials, commercial flooring and industrial products. All of these positions involved the supervision of multiple company locations, ranging from 15 – 50 sites. Tim traveled to these remote locations extensively to implement controls and monitor procedures to insure that the locations could be remotely managed.
Tim served for seven years as the CFO of Interface Inc.’s Commercial Flooring Dealer Network. At its peak, the network included 58 company owned locations and 100 plus affiliated dealers. More than 50% of Tim’s time was spent on site at dealers improving their operational and financial performance. He currently serves several of these dealers as a B2B CFO®and has also partnered with a software company that has developed a state of the art package for the commercial flooring industry.
Tim has worked with several cash constrained companies to improve accounts receivable collection and customer billing, implement strict controls over inventory and purchasing, optimize accounts payable, monitor all discretionary spending, and train employees regarding the financial consequences of their day to day decisions. He has also developed detail budgets along with multi year financial projections.
He has merger and acquisition experience at both acquired and divested companies. Tim has integrated the accounting function of several acquisitions into multi million dollar companies. This involved the training and upgrading of acquired personnel along with making the existing financial systems both internal and external audit compliant.
He has also set up all accounting functions as part of a divestiture from Fortune 500 companies, including hiring additional staff, establishing new banking relationships, installing new software, and the creation of all employee benefit programs.
Tim’s first priority in accounting is to publish user friendly financial data, so that all executive, sales and operations management have a clear picture of the financial performance of the company, along with a strong sense of where the company is headed in the future. Reams and reams of unreadable and inaccurate accounting reports are just a waste of time and trees.
He earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from Michigan State University in 1981 and has been a CPA since passing his exam on the first sitting in 1983. He is a member of the American Institute of CPA’s, the Georgia Society of CPA’s and the Construction Financial Management Association. Tim has two boys in elementary school that he chauffeurs back and forth to ball games on a regular basis. He has been an Atlanta resident since 1997.
- Michigan State University
Certificates & Licenses:
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional
- Quickbooks Pro Advisor
- Greater North Fulton Chamber of Commerce
- Cumming – Forsyth Chamber of Commerce
- Construction Financial Managment Association
- ReSource Commerical Flooring Dealers Network
- American Institute of CPA’s
- Georgia Society of CPA’s
- Michigan State University Alumni Association
- Ernst & Young Alumni
- Vistage Trusted Advisor
Articles by Tim McLellan
- IRS Announces 2013 Small Business Audit Focus Areas
- Who is Your "Accountant"?
- Who Is Your Next Draft Pick?
- How Is Your Company's GPS Functioning?
- Warning – Small Business Tsunami Ahead!
- 10 Reasons Businesses Fail
- B2B CFO® Announces the "Smart 25" Awards
- Getting Fired Up For 2012
- The 5 C's of Credit
- Announcing the B2B CFO® GamePlan™
- When Should you Hire a CFO?
- 2012 Is Coming…It's Budget Time
- Is Your Customer Too Big to Fail?
- B2B CFO's Founder Named Top 100 Small Business Influencer
- Do You have a Coach or a Scorekeeper?
- Combating Check Fraud
- Do You Need a CPA or a CFO?
- Competitive Advantage or Not?
- What is the Real Unemployment Rate?
- No Bills Over $20 Accepted
- Growing Your Business in 2011
- Do You Get Along With Your CFO?
- Turning Sales to Cash: Accounts Receivable Management
- A Business Lesson from Van Halen
- Profit is Just an Opinion
- Henry Ford said
- Where is Your Profit Hiding?
- CFO vs Controller vs Accountant
- Home Health Care Workers
- Know Any Companies That Ran Out of Cash?
- What Should a CEO Do?
- Monthly Services for Flooring Dealers
- Sample Benchmarking Report
- A Checklist for Increasing Profits